BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Little Sahara

Today began early (for me at least), 8 am. We suited up in some old clothes and met my dad's coworker, Ron, downtown so that we could follow him to the Little Sahara desert just an hour and a half outside of the city. He brought three of his four wheelers for all of us to ride on.

So, after a long ride/good nap, we arrived at the Little Sahara. I don't remember exactly what I was expecting, but I am sure these dunes surpassed my expectations. They were HUGE. One giant hill stood in the forefront of what seemed like endless dunes. Think Sex and the City 2 trailer. It was kind of like that. The weather was gorgeous as well. Blue skies, 60 something - just cool enough that a sweatshirt would suffice. The wind wasn't even active enough to blow the sand everywhere.

Anyway, after a quick lesson from Ron, I was off....and was promptly stuck 2 minutes later. Thankfully, he saved me from being stranded in the sand on the top of a wimpy dune for hours. After a few more runs, I gained some confidence. My dad and I followed each other around on some of the smaller dunes on the edges, although my dad had a harder time controlling his bike (is that the right word?) so we didn't stay out long. Ron volunteered to take us around to the back of the mountain where there were even more dunes and a little scenic path. Again, dad couldn't really handle the bike so Ron took me on a tour. It was SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I really wanted to pause and do a Lawrence of Arabia reenactment...but however awesome that would have been, I probably would have been hit by some kind of vehicle. Riding around out there was pretty awesome. It's almost like being on a roller coaster, even though I think roller coasters are technically more safe (Ron said people die on the dunes because a lot of people drink beforehand and don't wear helmets...smart).

Eventually, we had to come back to our little abode. I was actually quite tired after all the riding around. Although, I don't know why. It's not like you're really doing anything. Maybe it was the sun. But I digress. It was such a fun day! Hopefully more like it to come!



I am a motocross champion. No big deal.

0 comments: